GREYSTOKE MADONNA

click on images below to enlarge | slides here

STATUE OF OUR LADY AND CHILD

This statue was carved out of a log of holly by Alfons Lug, a Munich wood-carver, who, with some 400 other German Prisoners of War was quartered at Greystoke Castle from the Autumn of 1945 to April 1946.

His only tools were a pocket-knife and a small chisel, but he was repatriated shortly before the work was finished. It was completed by Fritz Hofmann, a joiner from Thuringia. The colouring was done by Hans Viesel, a master painter from Baden.

July 1946

This text is inscribed in calligraphy at Greystoke Parish Church

One thought on “GREYSTOKE MADONNA

Comments are closed.